Sunday, March 10, 2013

Quick update from Tracy

Hola, me llamo es Tracy y soy un estudiante a College of Wooster.
Hmm. . . What should I say? Actually, how can capture the essence of what I want to say?
 
Maybe I should begin with my first impressions of Mexico as the group traveled to the Pasada (Pasada is a Spanish term that means passage or passing)?
 
So here goes,
 
1. Crossing the Boarder: First of the all, the Mexican Boarder was not as thrilling as I thought it would be. I was hoping for some action like in the movie, “Blue Streak” with Martin Lawrence–you know, dry desert land and cops. Haha! However, none of this happened for all of you worried parents out there. Instead we went through a toll and security checked the driver’s passport and vehicle. No biggy!
 
2. As soon as the group crossed the Boarder I was introduced to Mexico’s poverty. Homeless people roaming the streets, dismantled homes with tarp covered roofs. This was the first thing I noticed, I can’t but help wonder about the rest of Mexico.
 
Oh no! Meeting and I’m late. I have to be brief!
Last thing: The people I’ve met so far are extremely nice. No one has shot me yet.  Stereotype DISPROVED!
            Thinking about stereotypes: In general, people tend to have a number of stereotypes about Mexico and its people. I think it’s important to consider the social factors that contribute to these negative perceptions. For instance, if you are going to talk about Mexican violence make sure you discuss the reasons “why.”
 
Okay, I have to go!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment